Tuesday Market Granola Bars
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup Alfieri raw almonds, halved
1/2 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed
3/4 cup oat flour or wheat germ
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup Snyder’s Sage Honey
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extra
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds / pepitas
1/4 cup crunchy quinoa
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 cup Hamada sun dried pitted cherries
3 TCHO 58 gram PureNotes “Fruity” bars, broken up
Optional: pinch of chili powder, smidge of freshly grated nutmeg, bit of ground sage, or hint of whatever else may tickle your fancy
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9-by-13 inch pan with greased parchment paper.
2. Toss the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the oat flour. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Place the butter, honey, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add remaining ingredients, except the chocolate, and stir well.
5. Add the chocolate chunks last, so that the mixture has cooled to room temperature by the time you add it.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan with a spatula. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares (very important, chill in the refrigerator an additional 20-30 minutes after cooling to prevent crumbling).
7. Serve at room temperature.
Requires at least 2 to 3 hours chill time.
Cristina Liberati is TCHOSource Program Manager and Designated Farmer’s Market Guru at TCHO.