TCHOcolate Flourless Cake
8 ounces TCHO Dark Discs, finely chopped
8 ounces (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. When completely melted, remove from the heat and whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Add the butter and whisk until smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round springform pan with parchment paper. Wrap a single piece of aluminum foil around the bottom of the pan and at least halfway up the sides.
3. Whip the egg and sugar on high speed of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment until thick, about 2 minutes. Reduce to medium-low speed and mix in the chocolate butter mixture. Stir in the cornstarch. Spread batter into prepared pan.
4. Place the cake in a baking pan or large sauté pan with at least a 1-inch clearance around the sides. Place the baking pan on a rack in the middle of the oven. Carefully fill the baking pan with hot water so that the water comes about a third of the way up the sides of the pan.
5. Bake until the cake is crusty on top and a skewer inserted in the middle still has a wet crumb, about 45 – 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the water bath and remove the foil. Cool to room temperature.
6. Unmold the cake from the pan by running a knife around the inside edge of the pan, releasing the latch, and removing the ring. Place a large plate on top of the cake. Invert the pan and the plate together. Remove the bottom of the cake pan and carefully peel off the parchment paper.
7. Cut the cake using a clean knife for each slice. Serve with whipped cream, caramel sauce, or ice cream.
Emily Luchetti is an award-winning Executive Pastry Chef at Farallon and Waterbar restaurants in San Francisco. She’s authored multiple cookbooks, including Classic Stars Desserts, A Passion for Desserts, A Passion for Ice Cream and The Fearless Baker. Find out more about her at www.emilyluchetti.com.