Crème Brûlée French Toast
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup TCHO Dark Baking Discs, chopped
1 1/2 loaves challah, ends removed, cut to 1″ slices
8 large eggs
2 1/4 cups half and half
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1. In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and syrup over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped TCHO.
2. Spread into the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them to fit. Some slices should be torn and put into the ‘holes’.
3. In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, sugar and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread.
4. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bring bread to room temperature. Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 12 servings. Requires at least 8 hours of chill time.